Thursday, January 10, 2008

Two Parables of Life

Parable # 1: The GARMIN Parable



While I was in the U.S.A. last December, wherever I went (someone else was usually at the driver's seat), one thing I particularly liked was the GPS by the windshield. It looks like a Palm-V gadget. Here are two models for your view:


The black holder is simply attached to the windshield for the driver to have an easy and convenient look at the Garmin hanging on.

Here is another model which shows how handy this gadget can really be:

The words in the upper portion in green color tells you the direction you are to take. The highlighted portion where your see the car shows you the actualy road you're taking. The roads in different colors surround the road you're taking. The number on the lower left (in white background) gives you the estimated time of arrival at the destination, while the number in the lower right (also in white background) gives you the distance you are still to trek ahead to reach the area specified in the upper portion. Shortly before you reach the portion mentioned in the green area on the top, or when there is need for it, a voice over speaks "In .3 miles, keep left and take a left turn." Or in another manner, "In .4 miles, keep left and keep left..." One needs to program it though upon opening, specifying the terminal point we want to reach, and virtually inquiring the gadget to specify for us the way to take to reach our destination. Believe you me, it knows how to reach your chosen destination.

With GARMIN, it is fun driving the complicated highway system of the U.S.A.

However, on the first time I drove from Chicago to Florida, while passing through the highways of Kentucky, I missed the right exit. Suddenly I heard the word "Recalculating." GARMIN usually says this word when one takes the wrong road other than the one specified. The word actually means so, but sans the tension one feels at having done something wrong, or sans the pointing finger that accuses. It's a calm and relaxed voice, as steady as usual, alerting you that it is actually looking for a way to bring you back on track. Just follow what it will say and surely, in no time, you're back on the right track.

I call this "The GARMIN Parable" because it has told me the goodness of God: how He has been "Recalculating" for us everytime we swerve away from Him. If you look at the history of salvation, God has always done the Recalculating all throughout for us. Even when already in Christ, whenever we make the wrong turn, He specifies the right way back (through the sacrament of reconciliation perhaps, or maybe Scriptures, or mabe through a counselor) for us to stay on track.

Stick to Him then, and you won't be ever on the wrong track. For He shall bring us to eternal life, our ultimate destination which we can freely choose by His grace.

Parable # 2: THE PARABLE OF MY CATS SIM & MERLIN

I have two cats, Sim and Merlin, living with me in my room. Sim is the Grand Lady (in her Queen Tricolor), while Merlin is her youngest daughter (predominantly white). Merlin was returned to me after staying with a human family for two weeks. Since Sim would be alone after her last litter, I decided to keep Merlin when she was returned so at least Sim will have company to play with everyday.

Aren't they cute? Merlin is in front, as if to smell you. Sim, the Grand Lady is at Merlin's back, quite secure as she is.


Surprisingly, Merlin still behaves like her young self, sucking her mother's teets every now and then.


Just this morning, both were meowing to me. They usually do this to tell me that they need food. However, when I see their plate, there usually is something left, about 30 more pellets. They wouldn't touch this left-over, and I would usually pour these remaining pellets into another plate outside my room where Boxer's son usually comes and calls for his ration. Then I'd pour in new fresh pellets on their plate from where they eat.

This for me is Sim and Merlin's way of saying, "we have reserved that for the poor relatives outside."

Sim and Merlin may have knowledge that they have food forthcoming, and they always reserve something for the poor.

That's it: for us who have (more than) enough, it's always worth it to reserve something for the poor.

2 comments:

BRC said...

The Garmin Parable was quoted at Mass today here in Nemi. I don't know if the celebrant knew where it came from. Not to boast, but I intend to show it to him.

As regards Sim and Merlin, our house where I left him last July was totally wrecked by typhoon Yolanda, and the only place where they stayed with Liloy was the bathroom in the second floor which I asked those at home to keep closed so the cats may stay in peace. That place is the only one standing in the second floor together with the room beside it, it is still closed, and I am afraid the rains and having no food may have forced them either to leave for the wild or the wilderness in the Creator's Heaven. Hope to see you again, Sim, Merlin and Liloy. Thanks for your great company which has given me much joy in lonely moments, teaching me life-giving stories. I love you.

BRC said...

Ok, thanks for the comments. Just testing because I haven't used this for a long kong time.